News Stories & Clips
- Here are some things you
can do to help restore and protect Southern Arizona Dark Skies:
As an Individual
(let us know about
@ sa-ida dot org )
Nominate a Business for a SA-IDA
Good Lighting Award
- Know of a Business or Company that has recently changed out some Poor
Outdoor Lighting? Please send details to us at sky at sa-ida dot
org so we can consider them
for an award.
Check your own property for "Good"
- Have you looked at your house from the outside at night or better yet,
from you neighbors view? Be sure all fixtures have full cut-off shields
and do not emit light horizontally or upward into the sky. Only turn on
Outdoor Lights when needed. Refer to our Southern Arizona Dark Skies
"You Can Make a Difference with 'Good' Outdoor Lighting..." blue brochure.
This can be printed from this web site (Brochures)
Report an Outdoor Light that is
Illegal or a Bad Polluter!
- If there is a bright Outdoor Light that gives off a lot of Glare or Sky
Glow (light shining outwards or upwards), talk to the owner politely to see if
they are aware of it and if they are willing to do something about it.
If not, and you believe the light is illegal, fill out an Obtrusive Lighting
Complaint Form and mail it as directed on the form. (see our
Resources page for Complaint form)
Come to Southern Arizona
International Dark Skies (SA-IDA) Monthly Meetings
- Come to one of our monthly meetings (Meetings)
and help with one of our projects (Projects)
or offer to start a new one. Gain knowledge about Outdoor Lighting
issues and meet some of the people who are actively working on some of the
Join International Dark Skies
- Join IDA and automatically become a local SA-IDA member. IDA funds
are used for many important activities including research. (Memberships)
- Make a Tax Deductible Donation
- IDA is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization which means your donations are
tax deductible. Donations can be marked for specific projects or
Sections like SA-IDA. We need funds to print brochures, give award
certificates, and other educational activities. (Donations)
As a Business or
Group Leader, Neighborhood Leader, or Participant in a Group Meeting, etc.
Star Party Leader or Participant
- At the start of your star party give a brief introduction about Dark Skies
(Fact Sheet) stating the importance of doing something to help maintain them.
Hand out the Southern Arizona Dark Skies "You Can Make a Difference with
'Good' Outdoor Lighting..." blue brochure. This can be printed from this
web site (Brochure)
or can be obtained from Scott at the IDA office in Tucson (IDA
Neighborhood or HOA Meetings
- Get a spot on the agenda at one of your neighborhood or Home Owner
Association meetings to talk about the importance of Good Outdoor lighting.
Hand out the blue brochure mentioned just above this item. Talk about
lights that are good and ones that are not so good and explain why.
Don't get personal and start any wars... Tell them about this WEB site
(sa-ida.org) and the IDA WEB site (darksky.org) which has lots of very
beneficial materials under the
- Scout Leaders
- Contact IDA or SA-IDA to see what materials are available for discussion
for you particular age group. Create a community project or merit badge
to help reduce Light Pollution in our area.
- Review you properties to see if they have Poor Outdoor Lighting and see if
you can make improvements. Hand out Good Outdoor Lighting Educational
material in your stores. Invite IDA speakers to your business clubs as
guest speakers. Make a donation to IDA.